Born: c. 1554 in Venice, Italy
Died: Sunday, August 12, 1612 in Venice, Italy
Nation of Origin: Italy
Antiphonal sacred works (for performance by voices and instruments in St. Mark's church in Venice)
2 sets of Sacrae Symphoniae (1597 and 1615)
- Year of birth is estimated at somewhere between 1554 and 1557.
- Nephew and student of Andrea Gabrieli, an organist at St. Mark's Basilica in Venice
- Worked in Munich as assistant to Lassus in the court chapel from 1575 to 1579.
- Became an organist at St. Mark's Basilica in Venice in 1585.
- Taught the composer, Schütz.
Reese, Gustave, Music in the Renaissance, W.W. Norton & Company; November 1959, ISBN: 0393095304
Sachs, Curt, The Rise of Music in the Ancient World , W. W. Norton & Company, 1943, ASIN: 0393097188
Slonimsky, Nicolas and Kuhn, Laura; Editors, Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians, Gale Group, December 2000, ISBN: 0028655257
Sadie, Stanley and Tyrrell, John; Editors, The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, Groves Dictionaries, Inc., January 2004, ISBN: 0195170679
Rutherford-Johnson, Tim, Kennedy, Michael, and Kennedy, Joyce The Oxford Dictionary of Music, Oxford University Press, 6th Edition, 2012, ISBN: 0199578109
Links to essays at other sites:
Please note: Each link will open in a new window.
Biographical essay from Wikipedia